-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Menu; rewind, repeat.

This past week was a miserable failure on my part. A. keeps pointing out that I was BURNED but, yeah, that really doesn't make me feel much better. I know I was burned to the point that I couldn't do anything, but it still feels like I failed for the week. I guess that's an internal issue I need to work on.

Even with A. getting home early (Wednesday instead of Friday), last week's menu was completely thrown out the window. He neither had the time nor the inclination to prepare the dishes I had planned, and I was in no shape to do anything but sit and sleep.

On the plus side, though, K. (sort of) got over that "I can't" thing and learned that she CAN... at least when it comes to cooking. She's quick to point out that I talked her through it, and I'm just as quick to point out that I only talked her through it the first couple of times and the last few times she made grilled cheese sandwiches, I didn't even know she was until I smelled them! She's still VERY hesitant to drain boiling noodles, but otherwise she can cook them without much assistance. All in all, I'm VERY proud of her. Now, if I can just keep that momentum rolling forward...

I'm still suffering through the burns, but they're subsiding quicker now. Not quite as quickly as the sun's love normally fades on me, but quick enough, I suppose. The range of motion in both arms is getting a little wider with each passing day, and by Tuesday morning I hope to be able to wear a shirt (and wash my hair) with very little pain.

Also, this Tuesday there's an open house at the middle school K. will be at next year from 6pm to 7pm, and that same night, she has a bell concert and has to be at (her current) school before 630pm. I talked to the vice-principal of next year's school, explained the situation and he said to show up around 545pm for the open house. We won't be able to make the whole tour and stuff, but he'll personally greet us and try to show us around a bit until the first tour starts. This makes Tuesday evening extremely cramped for time. We'll have to leave here no later than 515pm and won't get back until close to 8pm. I have NO clue what to do for dinner that night as there won't be any breaks for fast food stops, and we either eat around 4/430pm or not until after 8pm.

And Friday... oye. K. has a field trip to MGM Studios (in Orlando) on Friday and A. is playing chaperone. They have to be at school before 7am Friday morning and won't get back until after 7pm that night. Dinner? Who knows. Chances are I'll be by myself, and I'm not entirely sure they'll want to eat when they get home. And me? I'd just as soon eat a grilled cheese sandwich if I'm by myself for dinner.

So the menu this week? Yeah, a bit of "rewind, repeat" going on here, with a few minor tweaks. Sometimes life just works out that way.




Sunday: lunch: sandwiches/soup/leftovers (clean out the refrigerator time!)
        dinner: spaghetti and meatballs, salad, bread
Monday: breaded cod, baked potatoes, broccoli, mixed vegetables
Tuesday: ??? Chick-fil-A
Wednesday: rice and beans, salad, toasted garlic bread
Thursday: Ginger Pork, rice, broccoli Chick-fil-A
Friday: ??? (possibly butter (lima) beans, hoe cakes, salad OR a grilled cheese sandwich for me) Ginger Pork, rice, broccoli
Saturday: lunch: leftovers/sandwiches/soup (possibly home made pizza, depending on how I feel by then and what's on the agenda)
        dinner: Simple Taco Meat with homemade tortillas (still not sure about making my own tortillas), buttery peas & rice (recipe on the same page and just below the taco meat one) more leftovers


[edit] And a quote. Because when I saw it, I liked it. And more people in this world need to be reminded...
"For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin (real life) but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life." ~ Alfred D'Souza


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Looks like a busy week! I just love cod, and the rice n beans and ginger pork sounds amazing too!

I have made my own tortillas a few times. I think they are super good!

Sherry

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am so sorry you got burned! Life must be pretty miserable. I hope you are feeling better now. Good luck cooking this week!

Robin said...

Have a great week. Hope you're feeling less crispy soon.

Aisling said...

Me telling you that blaming yourself for the week is not going to help the burn out, isn't going to help is it? Someone who knows some of my situations, but certainly not all, prayed for me yesterday and prayed about all those things I put on myself, those judgements, and negative words. that, yes there are ones coming form others too, but that I am an expert in doing it to myself as well. And he's soooo right!
I know where you're coming from, and I know there is a way out of it, keep looking UP!

A Simple Wife said...

Sherry - Thanks. I've never liked the commercially made tortillas (can we say paper-thin cardboard??) so when I saw the recipe I figured it was worth a shot. Got any tips you could pass on to someone (me!) who's never tried to make them before?

Ordinary mom - Thanks. Life was pretty miserable there for a while, but it's looking up now.

Robin - Thank you, and I do! I had forgotten to add aloe lotion to the less burned areas of my skin, but remembered to do so last night. Not only do I feel less crispy, but now I'm not so leathery/itchy either! Being not itchy is great.

Zoe - Yeah, I know. And thanks. I've just felt incredibly helpless this past week (helpless isn't something I do well at all), and on the heels of that whole bundle of emotions came having to drop out of the 30 Day Organizational Challenge, PMS, and a hostile email about me being a SAHM (which I've more or less responded to with a recent entry in this blog). I know on an intellectual level that the only time you really fail is when you stop trying, and I haven't stopped trying, just got a little stuck in the mud, but there's this whole big bag of emotional trash that I have to deal with and I just haven't felt up to it... but I'm working on it. Little by little.

Annie said...

Hope your burn heals quickly.
great menu!

Sandra said...

Great menu, sounds like you were really busy. Hope your burn feels better :)

I love Cod, but I'm portuguese so I'm used to the salt cod more than the usual normal cod LOL

Anonymous said...

You are using the same tortilla recipe that I used. I liked them best when I used 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour.

I never was able to make a perfectly round one! I just followed her directions to a "T" and they turned out really yummy! (Even if non-symmetric!)

Good luck!

Sherry

Kathryn said...

Your menu looks DE-liscious. I'm newer to the Menu Plan Mondays and I really enjoy seeing a sample of other's menus.

I just wanted to leave you a little note about your burn and your tortillas. First, the burn: I've been burned badly before, too, and it's tough. I discovered that vinegar (I usually use apple cider vinegar) really helps! It draws out the burn. I read it in a "natural remedies" book years ago. It may even be helpful to you now, even though it sounds like the worst is behind you.
The tortillas: I moved from a place where decent tortillas were cheap and easy to come by, where we are now they are more expensive and come in small packs, so I have started making them. My best tip is make sure the pan is very hot! one side should cook in 10 seconds. I made cracker tortillas at first because I didn't keep the pan hot enough. lol.

You probably already know that anyway, just wanted to say hi and I hope you feel better!

Unknown said...

I hope that you feel better very soon!
Great menu plan.