-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, March 17, 2007

"It's just what moms do."

See, this is how my schedule gets completely screwed up. K. gets sick, and I'm the one that doesn't sleep for a week.

I started to go to bed earlier (around 10pm? 1030?) but stopped to check on her first. She was burning up. I made her get up and sort of took her temperature. I couldn't get her to be awake/coherent enough hold the thermometer properly. It still registered 101.9F. I got her up, gave her some Tylenol and made her drink some apple juice. I swear the kid was asleep before she was even back in bed.

And then I started doing the mom thing. A.? He was already asleep. Not me, though. I've been cleaning and checking on K. every 20 - 30 minutes, both for her temperature and for adverse effects of the meds the doctor prescribed for her. The last thing I want is for her to have an allergic reaction to something in the middle of the night while we're I'm sleeping. I can't see how that would be a good thing.

Oh. Update on her doctor appointment. I started to do it earlier but there was some maintenance going on and it ate my entry. Anyway, diagnosis: acute sinusitis. She got antibiotics and Rhino-something-or-another to squirt up her nose. She's pleased about neither of them, let me tell you.

And no, I'm not one of those mothers that rushes their kid to the doctor with every sniffle or sneeze. I am, however, one of those mothers that knows how intensely bad an allergic reaction to a drug can be and how suddenly it can come on. I don't hover over her, but any time she takes a new drug I watch her as much as I can for the first twelve or so hours. This particular time it just happened that she took the new drugs just before she went to bed.

Anyway, A. got up a little while ago (actually, I woke him up to take the garbage out to the dumpster; he wasn't pleased but he did it) and was all sorts of grumpy about me being up. He told me that K. was fine (duh, and not really. 102 temps are not "fine" in my book) and that kids take drugs all the time and are fine. And he's right. My only response was to shrug and tell him "Until her fever comes down enough that I don't have to worry about her bursting into flames or having to rush her to the ER, I'm cleaning and checking on her."

He sighed at me. "Why??"

I shrugged again with a crooked (and very exhausted) smile and said "It's just what moms do."


No comments: