-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, May 7, 2007

Making tortillas


Instead of talking about how some stranger (bug spray guy) was in my apartment while I was sleeping this morning, I'm going to recount (with pictures!) yesterday's fun.

On Sunday we made homemade tortillas. Well, technically A. and K. made them, and I gave advice from behind the camera while I took pictures. I have to admit, they were good. Very good. And far easier than I would have thought. Since we've always had a "YUCK"-factor whenever we used any store-bought tortillas (and ended up throwing them all out), I think we'll just make our own from now on.

Yes, I took pictures. I'm behind in posting them, but... eh. I've been busy. I have been making it a habit to cook with the camera within reach (much to the dismay of my family, who often get recruited for the actual cooking part while I play photographer).

So, pictures!

A. made the dough. Sadly, I didn't get pictures of that. I didn't think about it until after they were rolling it out. By the time I had the camera in my hand, K. had taken over and A. was elsewhere. First, she would get one of the little balls they'd made.

making tortillas



Then she got some flour...


making tortillas



and dusted the little ball with it.


making tortillas



After that, she would pat it out, flattening it a little bit.


making tortillas

making tortillas



After she had it more or less flattened, she would start to roll it out using an old Disney glass from Burger King because I am in desperate need of a new rolling pin.


making tortillas

making tortillas



From time to time she would stop to pat it out, sometimes dusting it with a bit more flour.


making tortillas

making tortillas

making tortillas



After she was all done, she would peel up the raw tortilla and put it on a piece of wax paper atop the growing stack waiting to be cooked.


making tortillas

making tortillas



After K. was done rolling all the dough out, A. came in and started cooking the tortillas.


making tortillas

making tortillas



Over and over and over again, until we had a lovely little stack of tasty home-made tortillas!


home made tortillas



After the tortillas had cooled and it was nearing time for dinner, I went in and made Simple Taco Meat (see my tweaks to the recipe here).


Easy taco meat



It was a good meal, and everyone had at least a little bit of fun. Even with the fun factor, I think next time I'll make them myself while they're at school and work.

Oh, and those tortillas? They're good spread with peanut butter and wrapped around a banana, too.

Coming soon: playing with a coconut.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun. We were just talking about making homemade tortillas on Saturday. My husband grew up with his mom making flour ones.
I love the photos. Oh, I also posted about it on my blog. Stop by sometime soon.

A Simple Wife said...

Rona - Thank you!!