-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 4, 2010

The coming of summer

There's only four more days of school and with the end of school comes summer. As with every summer, we're planning a variety of activities and some down/free time.

One of the things we always try to include in our summer activities is a craft. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. Still, it's especially awesome if I can teach the kid something new and she actually enjoys it. This year, I'm going to teach her to latch hook.

Surprised how little my local craft supply stores actually had on the shelves, I turned to the internet. After much deliberation (and more than a little frustration) we made our choices.

Girl had a hard time choosing one. There simply aren't any goth-lite kits available. Everything is overly-girly (full of fluff, flowers, and/or rainbows), pure boy (sports related) or too childish or "old-looking" to hold the interest of a 13-year-old girl gothling. The other options were huge, over-priced kits that, while they appealed to her, simply weren't appropriate for a beginner's first project.

But! ...of course there's a but. What kind of entry would this be without a but?

But "mommy do good"! I found her something that really appeals to her. Caron has two pirate-themed latch hook kits. The one Girl squealed at was the pirate skull.

Hosted by Photobucket



Now, not being entirely goth (hence the goth-lite and gothling terms I use when referring to her) she was attracted to a heart kit. Since I needed a kit to do as well and nothing else was appealing to me either, I decided to get the other one she liked. I'll make it for her. It's one of those things moms do. It's a heart with a glow around it.

Hosted by Photobucket



Yes, yes, she's a walking contradiction. She's awesome that way.

Anyway, I ordered them earlier this week and both kits should be here by the end of next week so we'll be starting them before the end of the month. (I usually try to give her a few free days of nothing planned and sleeping in before we start with the summer fun.) With a hyperactive hurricane season being predicted this year, I'm sure there will be plenty of rainy days when we opt to stay home and latch hook or read rather than go out. Progress will be posted in my project blog, One Dream at a Time, but I will also post the end results here.

We're still hashing out the rest of the summer plans. There are movies to watch, books to read, places to go, household lessons to be learned (more on that later), and all sort of other mischief to get into fun to be had.

Blue skies, world.

No comments: